2013年11月3日 星期日

DA fulfills courtroom promise

Source: The Pueblo Chieftain, Colo.迷你倉Nov. 03--Pueblo District Attorney Jeff Chostner saw his first major courtroom action last week since his election, part of a push for the boss to return to the courtroom.Chostner, along with Deputy District Attorney Karl Kuenhold, prosecuted Dennis Neil Pratt for murder. The two-week case resulted in a conviction on a lesser charge of criminally negligent homicide.Chostner is working on a second homicide case involving suspect Matthew Aldaz. That case is still working through the system, though District Judge William Alexander found probable cause to try Aldaz on first-degree murder charges.Chostner and Chief Deputy Anthony Marzavas are assigned to that case.Aldaz is accused of gunning down Thomas Abeyta in a 7-Eleven parking lot.Chostner, along with Deputy Stephen Talbot, also is prosecuting Delfino Ocana on charges of sexual assault on a child by a person in a position of trust.He's worked with Chief Deputy Atrelle Jones on an attempted murder/ domestic violence case that settled with a plea agreement before it went to trial During his election, Chostner told voters he was planning to take on cases and get into the courtroom."I mini storagem a trial attorney by trade, so returning to the courtroom is natural for me to do," Chostner said this week.Chostner said he doesn't have a specific caseload in mind."What I'm trying to do is take cases that get me involved with members of my staff," Chostner said. "But I also want totake on cases that are important to the public."Chostner said he's focused on violent crimes such as murder, assault and sexual crimes for the time being. But he anticipates moving into the county court to try misdemeanors as well.He said working with different staff members will allow him to get to know his attorneys better, including their personalities and approaches to the law."Since I am pushing my office attorneys to try more cases, it is incumbent upon me to be with them as we take on additional and difficult cases," Chostner said. "I believe that's what leaders do. Since we've tried more cases at the midpoint of the year than we did all of last year, I think I need to do my part as well."jtucker@chieftain.comCopyright: ___ (c)2013 The Pueblo Chieftain (Pueblo, Colo.) Visit The Pueblo Chieftain (Pueblo, Colo.) at .chieftain.com Distributed by MCT Information Services迷你倉

沒有留言:

張貼留言